1. WHY AMERISCHOOLS ONLINE?
Why should I choose AmeriSchools Academy Online for my child’s education?
AmeriSchools Academy Online uses a blended-learning educational approach. Teachers work with students in virtual small groups, one-on-one, and within the entire class. The curriculum is aligned with state standards to include reading, games, practice, assessment, discussions, and presentations. Teachers work with families to support student learning, mastery of state standards, and to develop programs that uniquely address your child’s educational needs.
Is AmeriSchools Academy Online accredited?
AmeriSchools Academy Online is approved to teach grades K-8 throughout the state by the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools.
3. TEACHER QUALIFICATIONS
What are the standards for teachers at AmeriSchools Academy Online?
All teachers meet the requirement set forth by the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools, and all teachers carry IVP cards (Identity Verified Print) required by Arizona state law.
4. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
What are the technical requirements for AmeriSchools Academy Online students? Computer? Internet?
The school provides the computer and parents provide the insurance to cover the computer for damage or loss. Students’ Internet (download) speed must be 2Mbps or greater. The school does not provide Internet access. Student computers have all the software required to monitor student work and allow teachers to support students with challenges within programs.
5. SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENTS
How do you work with special needs students?
AmeriSchools Academy Online will review each individual education plan to determine the best methods to serve special education students. Our system includes Certified Special Education Teachers, the ability to videoconference, share documents, work collaboratively on documents, and a wide variety of online teaching tools to meet each student’s needs. AmeriSchools’ online learning system provides additional support by organizing tasks for students and storing all completed academic work.
1. When can my child start at AmeriSchools Academy Online?
For the 2023-2024 school year, we will start the first week of August. In 2024, the school will start in July.
2. What is your enrollment process? Required documents?
Parents may contact any of our four campus locations, or call (800) 379-9083 for information. Enrollment forms are available on our website at www.AmeriSchoolsOnline.com.
The following documents are needed to complete the enrollment process:
- enrollment forms
- birth certificate (Other reliable proof of the students Identity and age, Baptismal Certificate, Application for Social Security number, original school registration records, affidavit explaining the inability to provide a copy of the birth certificate)
- immunization records
- proof of residency
3. Is it possible for my child to be an AmeriSchools Academy Online student while concurrently attending another school? Or while being homeschooled?
Students in elementary school cannot be concurrently enrolled. Students in high school can be concurrently enrolled.
Parents who have been homeschooling are welcome to support their program with enrollment at AmeriSchools Online. The curriculum is aligned with state standards, taught by qualified teachers, and provides developmentally appropriate tasks to develop thinking skills.
4. Why do you ask about family income information?
Income level data is only gathered to support programs within the school. It is only used to provide better services for students.
5. How do you track attendance?
We ask students to post attendance in the Learning Management System, and teachers are able to see the time on task, task completion, and process, using our state-of-the-art system. Daily posting by students allows teachers to better monitor individual student needs and better support student learning. Unlike a traditional school, student progress, task completion, and time are all part of attendance.
6. Is/Are my child’s former school(s) required to send requested transcripts to AmeriSchools Academy Online?
Yes, all schools are required by state law to provide transcripts when given written notice.
7. How do I obtain my child’s student records from AmeriSchools Academy Online?
For elementary school students, parents may request records at any time. Please allow the school 72 hours to process this request.
1. What is AmeriSchools Academy Online’s grading policy?
Parents have a choice in student grading. They may choose the pass/fail option or letter grades (A, B, C, D, F). These options can be class-specific as well, so parents may want letter grades in core areas, but a pass/fail option in electives.
2. How often will my child connect with their online teacher?
Schedules of meeting times will be provided by teachers. This varies based on student achievement and individual needs. Each week students will meet with a teacher one-on-one to discuss accomplishments and challenges.
- Teachers & staff are available 8:00 am to 3:00 pm daily, Monday—Friday
- Online Administrative Office, Amy Daugherty (Dean): (800) 379-9083
- Principal for Online Instruction, Linda McCormack: (928) 919-7203
3. Can students work at their own pace at AmeriSchools Online?
AmeriSchools Academy Online supports students with a 12-month instructional program. This means that students can work faster or slower to meet the requirement for each grade level or credit. There will be about 170 lessons in each area for the year. There is no school calendar. The school will have benchmarks so parents and students will know their progress. To ensure students receive the benefits from the live teacher interaction sessions, we ask parents to contact the teacher so that teachers know their schedule.
4. Can parents view their child’s academic progress?
The school will provide parents with a secure sign-on for the PowerTeacher online portal. Parents will be able to check grades, attendance, and will receive alerts through this system.
5. What is AmeriSchools’ online bullying and harassment policy?
Students and parents are provided with a copy of AmeriSchools policies as part of enrolling in AmeriSchools Academy Online and sign an agreement to abide by the policies on harassment, bullying, and inappropriate school and online behavior.
6. Does AmeriSchools Academy Online require any in-person attendance?
All students in the state of Arizona are required to take state assessments. These assessments vary based upon grade level and identified needs. These tests require a certified proctor and will require students to be with a proctor in a school, library, or a public place with WiFi access. It may require working in collaboration with local libraries or other schools (in very remote places).
1. Where can my child access AmeriSchools Academy Online classes?
Students can complete courses anywhere. Student will need their AmeriSchools-loaned computer and a wireless Internet connection.
2. Who should I contact if I have a problem logging in to the AmeriSchools Academy Online system?
Teachers, assistant principals, principals, and technology staff can support the initial login to AmeriSchools’ online learning system. Password and reset issues can be addressed by any staff member.
AZMerit / AZM2 Questions
1. Is the AZMerit exam required of AmeriSchools Online students?
- Yes. The AZMerit, now called AZM2, is required by the state of Arizona in Grades 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. This test is used to determine grade-level mastery in Language Arts, Writing and Mathematics.
- The AZSci is the state science assessment required in 5th and 8th grades.
- The AZELLA is a state assessment to determine language development for second language learners. This test is given to determine a language need and, in the spring, to determine student growth. This test is for all school-age students, kindergarten through 12th grade.
- High school testing is the ACT Aspire in 9th and 11th grades.
- The school will try to schedule testing to minimize disruption to routines.
2. What is the AZMerit testing schedule?
The State of Arizona has only released tentative dates for the 2022 school testing window.
- AZM2 is currently scheduled between April 4 and April 29, 2022. (This may be modified after the state has finalized dates)
- AZSci is currently scheduled between March 21 and April 15, 2022.
- AZELLA for incoming students will be scheduled within the first 2 weeks of school. The spring assessment is scheduled between January 31 and March 18, 2022.